Reporting to the General Manager, this position directs and manages the activities of the Engineering and Design Department to produce all the working drawings, specifications and other engineering documents for the business unit. The department consists of four basic disciplines: Architectural, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical, each led by a Chief, who reports directly to the Manager of Engineering and Design and who is a licensed professional Architect or Engineer in his/her specific discipline.
Engineering cost estimates, schedules and establishment of priorities are the responsibility of the incumbent. An Engineering Status Report is prepared for the General Manager on a monthly basis; abnormal situations are reported to the General Manager as they occur. The Manager of Engineering will also provide sales support to the Managers of Business Development periodically participating in sales presentations and proposal preparation.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct the design and engineering activities to ensure they meet the highest professional standards.
- Establish schedules and budgets that will produce efficient and timely production.
- Monitor engineering progress and adjust manpower to meet established schedules.
- Forecast and monitor overall performance to maintain cost control.
- In coordination with Human Resources, hire, train, evaluate and promote competent personnel to further their growth within the department and to prepare them for other business unit or Company responsibilities.
- Promote good morale within the department to create and foster a high level of quality work, efficiency and enthusiasm.
- Weigh conflicting project demands to achieve optimum use of resources.
- Encourage, by personal example, the need to maintain good records of discussions with clients.
- Continually brief the General Manager so that he is sufficiently notified of important matters.
- Become a licensed Engineer/Architect in his/her specific discipline in all states in which the incumbent is required to work, to earn proper acceptance and recognition within the profession.
- Direct the operation of the mailroom, reproduction operations and general building maintenance.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A four or five-year architectural or engineering degree and a minimum of ten years of experience as an architect or engineer, four of which should be in a supervisory capacity.
- This position must obtain and maintain Professional Architectural or Engineering Registration in his/her specific discipline in each state in which the incumbent is expected to work.
- Have an overall understanding of the construction process, a general knowledge of Architecture, Civil, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical engineering