The Austin Company has a current opportunity available for a talented Mechanical Engineer at our Western Operations Irvine office and was named as one of the “Top Places to Work” in 2019 as published in the Orange County Register.
Independently performs a variety of assignments requiring the application of standard design engineering techniques for a small project or selected segments of a larger project to design and engineer Plumbing, Piping, HVAC and Fire Protection systems to assure safe reliable and energy efficient operation. This requires the application of standard design engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria where the scope is already outlined in the form of contract drawings, specifications, one-line drawings and component estimates derived during the Step 1 process. The incumbent must be capable of exercising independent judgment in evaluating, selecting, and applying standard design engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria to make minor design adaptations and modifications. Assignments have clear and specific objectives and require the investigation of a limited number of variables.
Duties and Skills
- Prepares working drawings and performs detailed calculations for a small project or a detailed segment of a larger project.
- Prepares technical specifications for review and approval.
- Responsible for the selection of equipment to be used to satisfy the scope of the project.
- Evaluates vendors’ bids and drawings to assure compliance with specifications and requirements of the project.
- Reviews and approves design drawings of other employees or offices for an assigned segment of a project.
- Takes a lead role in working with other disciplines to ensure there are no conflicts or interferences between distribution systems.
- Coordinate with field personnel and contractors to resolve problems that arise during construction. Frequently inspects construction projects for compliance with the engineering drawings and specifications.
- Must ensure that all design work is within the preliminary scope definition and complies with all applicable building codes.
Qualifications and Experience
- Requires a 4-year mechanical engineering degree
- Professional Engineer Registration
- Typically 8-10 years’ related experience (or equivalent working knowledge/experience).
- This includes considerable experience in utilizing various computer software packages such as Revit, AutoCAD and other automated engineering and design equipment.
The Austin Company named as one of the “Top Places to Work” in 2019 as published in the Orange County Register