Independently performs complex aspects of estimating assignments requiring advanced knowledge of estimating principles. Large or multiple sections of a total project estimate will be delegated to this position to prepare estimated quantities and costs, however, this position may be given total responsibility of a small project. These estimates are based on the preliminary design calculations of a Step 1a or 1b where conceptual estimating is required. Request for costs will be sent to vendors or subcontractors in the local area where construction will be done and the results will be analyzed and verified with historical data and research. This position will work closely with Engineering to gain a high level of understanding of the preliminary design.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares working drawings and performs detailed calculations for a specific segment of a project and determines the layout and configuration of the electrical systems ensuring the concepts fall within schedule and budget for the project.
- Assists in preparation of equipment specifications.
- Makes recommendations to the chief engineer on the type of equipment to be used to satisfy the scope of the project.
- Evaluates vendor bids and drawings to assure compliance with the specifications and requirements of the project.
- Work with other disciplines to ensure there are no conflicts or interferences between designed systems.
- Reviews design drawings of other employees or offices for accuracy within defined criteria.
- Must ensure that all design work is within the preliminary scope definition, and complies with all applicable building codes.
- Communicate appropriate information on project status, scope changes and problem areas to chief electrical engineer.
- Maintain current knowledge of National Electrical Codes as well as design and construction procedures to meet changing priorities.
- File calculations in a complete and orderly manner for future reference.
Qualifications and Experience
- This position normally requires a 4 year degree in Construction Management, Estimating, or a related field.
- At least 7 – 9 years experience in estimating large more complex construction projects working with a team OR 10-15 years equivalent estimating experience.