Independently performs detailed phases of design engineering work for a project of moderate size and complexity to design structures and foundations that satisfy the requirements of building designs in accordance with applicable governing codes. This requires the application of standard design engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria where the scope is already outlined in the form of contract drawings, specifications, one-line drawings and component estimates derived during the Step 1 process. The incumbent must be fully competent in all conventional aspects of design engineering and be capable of planning and conducting tasks requiring independent judgment in the evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard design engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria.
Duties and Skills
- May plan, schedule, coordinate, and oversee the work of lower-level engineers who assist with particular projects.
- Ensures that production of drawings, specifications, reports, and analyses meet scope, schedule, cost and quality requirements.
- Consults with construction personnel concerning design constructibility as related to field conditions, sequencing, and scheduling of construction activities.
- Reviews drawings and evaluates the need for design changes and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Reviews vendor bids and shop drawings for substantial materials to be used in the design to assure compliance with specifications, code and requirements of the project.
- Performs detailed calculations and directs the preparations of working drawings, develops specifications, instructions, and other related documents of a complex project of moderate size.
Qualifications and Experience
- Normally requires a 4-year Structural engineering degree
- Typically 5-10 years’ related experience (or equivalent working knowledge/experience).
- Requires Professional Engineer registration
- This includes considerable experience in utilizing various computer software packages such as Revit, AutoCAD and other automated engineering and design equipment.
- Experience with steel, concrete, CMU and wood design and detailing is preferred
- Experience with high-seismic and high-wing design and detailing is preferred