Under general supervision, performs routine assignments which are clearly defined to design and engineer building electrical power distribution, lighting, building life safety, security, paging and low voltage voice and data systems to assure safe reliable and energy efficient design. This requires the application of standard design engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria where the scope is already outlined in the form of contract drawings, specifications, one-line diagrams and component estimates derived during the Step 1 process. Assignments involve some unusual or difficult problems requiring job knowledge and abilities beyond entry level.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares working drawings and performs detailed calculations for a specific segment of a project and determines the layout and configuration of the electrical systems ensuring the concepts fall within schedule and budget for the project.
- Assists in preparation of equipment specifications.
- Makes recommendations to the chief engineer on the type of equipment to be used to satisfy the scope of the project.
- Evaluates vendor bids and drawings to assure compliance with the specifications and requirements of the project.
- Work with other disciplines to ensure there are no conflicts or interferences between designed systems.
- Reviews design drawings of other employees or offices for accuracy within defined criteria.
- Must ensure that all design work is within the preliminary scope definition, and complies with all applicable building codes.
- Communicate appropriate information on project status, scope changes and problem areas to chief electrical engineer.
- Maintain current knowledge of National Electrical Codes as well as design and construction procedures to meet changing priorities.
- File calculations in a complete and orderly manner for future reference.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ideally requires a 4-year electrical engineering degree
- 1-3 years’ related experience (or equivalent working knowledge/experience)
- Preferred experience in utilizing various computer software packages such as AutoCAD, Revit and other automated engineering and design equipment